COURSE SECTION SCHEDULED WITH table
Contains information about course sections that are scheduled to meet together, at the same time, in the same location.
There are two types of Schedule With relationships:
- Sections that are part of Course Families (Also Offered As): When a section is created for a course that is the parent partner in an Also Offered As relationship, sections of the child courses will automatically be created in CLSS. All partners in a course family must be offered if the parent course is scheduled in a term.
- Sections that are not part of a course family, but will meet in the same room, at the same time, with the same instructor: Examples include graduate / undergraduate offerings.
Course sections that are scheduled with each other share a group code, found in the SCHED_WITH_GRP column. Group codes are defined in the CRSE_SECT_SCHED_WITH_GRP table.
The warehouse CRSE_SECT_SCHED_WITH table is refreshed in batch mode from the Operational Data Store (ODS), which gets its data from the Banner database. The UPENN_ODS source table is SATURN_SSRXLST.
||Indexed Data Elements
based on the term and course reference number
Cautions and notes
- Scheduled With course sections and Also Offered As courses are sometimes referred to as "cross-listed." Also Offered As is determined by how the course is set up and mantained in Curriculum Management; Schedule With is determined by how the course section is set up and maintained in CLSS.
- There will always be one and only one primary section in a group of Scheduled With sections. The primary section will have a 'P' in the PRI_SEC_IND field in the CRSE_SECT_SCHED_WITH table. The section_id of the primary section will be in the GROUP_PRI_SECTION_ID column for every row in a shared SCHED_WITH_GRP. Because of the complex relationships between course sections that are scheduled with each other, Penn has developed business rules for determining the primary section in each Scheduled With group. Users of the CLSS and Banner forms will not see the primary indicator in these source systems. The standard function for determining the Primary section is used in the ODS, the Data Warehouse, and downstream applications.
- SCHED_WITH_GRP vs XLIST_FAMILY: The column SCHED_WITH_GRP identifies the group code, for course sections that are scheduled together in a specified term. The column XLIST_FAMILY identifies the Also Offered As family from the catalog (see COURSE_XLIST table). Not all course sections that are scheduled to meet together will have an XLIST_FAMILIY indicator, but all course sections that are scheduled to meet together will have a SCHED_WITH_GRP:
SCHED_WITH_GRP: the group of courses scheduled to meet at the same time in the same place in a specified term. Course sections that meet together do not have to belong to an "also offered as" family of courses.
XLIST_FAMILY: the family of courses identified in the catalog (see COURSE_XLIST table), that come from the curriculum management system where one course is the main course and the other courses are "also offered as" courses.
Questions about this page? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Information Systems and Computing|
University of Pennsylvania
Information Systems and Computing, University of Pennsylvania